Friday, December 28, 2007

FU

this character pronounced, fu, means "happiness" or is a blessing of "good luck." it is found mounted onto most doors. often, it is hung upside-down. the pronounciation of the word 'upside-down' is similar to the pronounciation of the word 'arriving'. therefore people will hang the 'fu' word upside-down to symbolize that happiness has arrived.

in light of the significance of this character in this this culture, i thought it very appropriate for me to get each of my roommates something to wish them the blessing of happiness for the new year! :)

i was not offended when they decided to regift this gift. i probably would have done the same thing!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, only you Loi, only you! Just make sure they are not used before they re-gift!

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha... that expression is priceless!! i love it! =D

miss ya gals.

~ ols :>

Anna Cecilia said...

I'll wear them, I'll wear them! (Too funny, too funny!)

Anonymous said...

Free chonies!!! Who could turn that down??? Good times!! heehee!

Jen Sipe :)

Jessica said...

I would have worn them... why did they re-gift that? Chonies are awesome.

Kelly said...

I know its already the new year on your side of the world. I was thinking of you and hoping this year brings you "fu" in your life as well as your underwear!