life is definitely different. it has been hard not being able to communicate with people. i have been attached to my roommates at the hip. they have been so wonderful in helping me to get adjusted to life here. hopefully, my language study courses will help me to not be so dependent on my roommates.
i am registering for classes today. it ends up that i will be taking 3 days of classes! argh! that is the university's minimum requirement! hopefully, i'm more diligent in language classes than i was back home! :)
thought you might find these things interesting:
- i'm having a hard time adjusting to this...
thank goodness my apartment has a normal western toilet. this type of toilet is at most public places!
- i know most of you would probably choose not to read this next one, but it is probably the hardest adjustment for me! because of the poor plumbing system here, we cannot flush toilet paper down. it gets thrown into the trashcan!!! ewwww!!! i want to gag everytime i go into a public restroom! use your imagination, i will not go into details!
- people drive like mad here! there are lane dividers painted on the ground, but it means absolutely nothing! i have to close my eyes everytime i get into a cab.
- taxis are the main mode of transportation. the city that i am in is very hilly, so it is not common to see people riding bikes.....besides, the cars may run you over!
- i also learned from someone at the airport that it is considered rude to tip the waiter or waitress. we dont tip for services either!
- i usually spend about $1 for each meal. food is very cheap here!
- there are now 3 starbucks in town!!! woohoo!
anyway, more later!
love to you all!
14 comments:
Thanks for the pic, that really helped cement the image in my mind! We couldn't throw t.p in CR either and its nasty! Especially if the person before you is not very "clean". Other than the lovely topics you have written about today, I LOVE reading about your travels! Miss you!
I am visiting relatives at the moment - we all got to check out your bathroom conditions :) Good times, good times!
I'm telling you, America is everywhere! Three Starbucks? Really?
Oh yucky toilets.... I guess you just sort of stand there? Is it hard to stay clean??? I have issues with pee.... that would be hard for me too... haha.
Loi - I am not ONE BIT jealous. =) We miss you at small group. You are in my prayers. Keep blogging and take care! - Nicole
much love to you!
Those toiets never bothered me while I was in China. It's good to be a guy!
Oh my goodness!! That's disgusting!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
culture shock...
you'll adjust- just take one day at a time, and enjoy each day for the uniqueness that it brings!
Don't worry, you'll get used to all the sights, sounds and smells. I'm glad that you're able to have a good attitude about it. That will make a huge impact on the way your life goes for the next year. We are thinking of you all the time.
Whoa..the girl who wouldn't let guests sit on her toilet seat!?!?! Yikes! Thinking back now...it's not that bad to let Dave use your toilet, huh? =)
Love ya!
I'm glad you made it safely...Talk to you soon! Love ya lots.
The gals miss you terribly (so do I). Cactus isn't the same without you.
Lisa Bowyer
Oh, I just miss talking to you!! Loved the video.....he's cute??ha Just be glad you're not doing the back to school crazy week. Wow...so they drive worse than you? Great to hear about all the things that are going on. Love ya & thinkin of ya tons!!!
Post a Comment